What is DEXA body composition testing?
Imagine being able to track all elements of your body composition as you make changes to your diet and exercise plan. DEXA body composition testing is now the new gold standard. Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry (DEXA). DEXA is the most accurate method for body composition analysis trusted by doctors, medical researchers, and sports labs around the world. Based on a three-compartment model that measures bone mineral content, fat mass (FM) and fat-free mass (FFM), it is fast and non-invasive. DEXA body composition has been regarded as the gold standard measurement tool for its accurate and reliable results. For those who are considering a weight loss journey or a customized fitness program, a DEXA scan provides an important baseline. Most are surprised with the motivation that real metrics provides to track progress and make changes for a healthier lifestyle.
So what does your personalized DEXA test report tell you? Outlined in this report is your android/gynoid ratio, body fat percentage, lean tissue mass percentage, bone mineral density, resting metabolic rate, distribution of muscle, fat, bone and much more.
Why consider a DEXA Body Composition?
- Working on managing your weight, and need to monitor your body fat loss and muscle growth under a customized exercise plan.
- Interested in reducing your risks of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cancer, and obesity. A DEXA test is a great first step in the right direction to manage your risk profile.
- An athlete and/or bodybuilder who must keep track of muscle building and bone health during training and recovery periods. Jumping on the conventional scale does not tell you everything you need to know about your body to make better and more informed decisions about your health. Contact our team of experts at Studio Athletica to learn more about how you can incorporate DEXA body composition testing to track the impact of your healthy lifestyle.
Cost of DEXA body composition testing?
- 1 Scan – $99
- 2 Scans – $150 (does not expire)
- Any additional – $75 (3 or more)
Patient instructions and FAQ:
A client’s scan begins with a 15-minute consultation with our doctor to review all of your goals, answer any questions you may have, obtain consent and provide you with your referral. You will then perform the DEXA right after, which will take an additional 15-minutes for the test and review of results with our doctor.
If you have never had a scan, we recommend our clients to get the 2 scans so that you can have a before and after comparison to evaluate any programming you may be doing.
The DEXA scan generally takes a total of 30 minutes to complete. It is totally painless and the process is very straightforward. DEXA utilizes a very low dose x-ray equivalent to the amount of radiation you would receive while on a flight to New York City. Different from other types of tests such as MRIs or CT scans, there is no oppressive, closed tunnel or ring. Simply lie on your back, breathe comfortably and relax. The scanner does the rest. When finished our team will review your results. We will also provide you with your detailed report to take home.
Please wear or bring with you loose athletic clothing (no metal). For best accuracy of your measured weight, try not to eat a large meal immediately prior to the test. For example, for a morning test, you may want to test before having a large breakfast. In the afternoon, test before having lunch and in the evening, test before having a large dinner.
We also try to offer same day appointments for all clients and we are open 9 am – 8 pm Monday to Friday. Our phone number is 416-722-3393. We look forward to hearing from you, please request your consultation today!
Disclaimer: Do not treat this as medical advice as it is used for educational purposes only. Please seek out help from one of our health care professionals.
- 366 Bay Street, 10th Floor, Toronto ON, M5H4B2, (416)7223393, Toronto DEXA body composition