Does OHIP Cover Physiotherapy?
Are you in the process of recovering from an injury or illness, or do you have a loved one who’s a youth or senior citizen who needs physiotherapy intervention? On most occasions, you will be required to be admitted overnight at the hospital, and that can be expensive.
Whether you’re receiving help from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), you might be able to take advantage of government-financed physiotherapy assistance. Studio Athletica can provide these services, so you can restore your mobility and function sooner than later.
OHIP and Physiotherapy
Does the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) fund physiotherapy services? Yes, it does. The funds will be provided via the Ontario Community Physiotherapy Clinic Program. The best part? It’s free of charge.
What happens during the process? Here’s what to expect, step-by-step.
- A physician or healthcare provider needs to refer you to the OHIP program.
- They will find out if you are eligible, then proceed to conduct an evaluation, diagnosing your condition, and developing a plan for your treatment.
- The treatments will end when you’ve hit your program milestones and goals. They also end when you can hit your goals independently or through a community program.
Take note that a referral from your healthcare provider does not automatically equate to approval. You will need to be green-lit for eligibility before you can proceed.
What Does OHIP Cover?
OHIP takes care of the in-clinic and virtual physiotherapy costs for eligible recipients. Procedures include those that address a fall, new injury, surgery, or other types of instances that affect your mobility and function.
There is no limit to the number of treatments that you can receive through OHIP. This will be based on the design of your treatment program and on the improvements that happen as you get closer to meeting your physical goals.
What Does OHIP NOT Cover?
There are certain situations where OHIP will not cover your expenses. These include:
- Long-term rehabilitation
- Special services (like from a heart attack or stroke)
- Maintaining an existing level of function
- Receiving other physiotherapy treatments that are financed through other government-funded health programs, insurance, or the Workplace Safety Insurance Board (WSIB)
How to Access OHIP for Physiotherapy
Studio Athletics supports government-financed physiotherapy services. If you are determined to be eligible and have a referral from your doctor or health practitioner, get in touch with our team. Note, however, that your referral can be used with only one clinic.
Contact the Studio Athletica team for assistance with OHIP-funded physiotherapy treatment.